First day of school. Okay, not for me, but I don't let that stop me. New pencils, pens, notebooks and geometry sets are all on the shopping list this time of year. Okay, maybe not the geometry sets because they're not as useful in journalism - then again, perhaps that's the secret I've been missing all along.
To be honest, I don't always use all the school supplies I buy - I mean, not going back to school and everything makes it tricky. It's been . . . what? . . . 10 years since I last started school (and the last four of those didn't kick off until closer to October), but not to buy school supplies now is like not having at least a glass of ginger ale on New Year's Eve. The year hasn't started; fall may not arrive.
And of course there's an autumn wardrobe to be bought, not to mention more books. Not text books, mind you, just books. I have these piles growing all over the freaking house, of books I've purchased on similar rampages but never have time to sit down and read. But then, of course, those aren't just limited to fall.
There are only two times in a year I actually like shopping. One is Christmas, the other is now. There's something about the colours of fall, I think - all dark greens and russets with flakes of gold and brown woven into tartans and plaids. It makes me want to own them. Don a beret, sink my teeth into a crisp, cold apple and march off to the shops.
When it comes down to it, that's the only thing I ever liked about going back to school - at least between Grades 1-12 and my first year of university. It wasn't until Newbold that I anticipated more: friends, classes, professors, great conversations, adventures and the whole general pursuit of knowledge. Oh to be in England, now September's here. But I digress.
It's usually at this time of year (and/or when I'm sick to death of work) that I'm most tempted to hang up my press card for a while and head back to the classroom to study. What? I don't know. Perhaps go get my masters? Learn myself a proper diploma in journalism? Of course, I'd have to wait another year now, to actually do it (which is why I'm still where I am - not so brilliant with the fore-planning). Or I could take a class in something - French? Photography? Serving it Right??
It's crazy how every fall I think I'm going to get my life together - and crazier still how I don't! Buying school supplies only takes you so far. The point is to use them in a particular setting (i.e. school). I never thought I'd miss school. But now I understand it's not just about being forced to spend the bulk of your days locked away in a yellow classroom with people you hate. The idea is to better yourself - and I think that's the part I miss.
Of course, I can do that now without ever stepping foot into a classroom. I just need to think of some ways. And I will. If I'm feeling so inclined, I might even keep you posted - - if you do likewise for me. What do you like about fall, and how do you plan to better yourself this September? Come on, there's got to be something.
Me? I'm going to start with a fancy new geometry set.
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Have, so far, bought three new autumn shirts in autumn shades (also pants, returning to store for unfortunate drawing of attention to places am trying to divert attention away). Two binders, although I have nothing new to put in them. Am tempted to label them, anyway. Two notebooks; one standard, school-sized; the other for impromptu notes to self. Passed by sets of pencil crayons (always made sure to wear old set down enough to ensure Mom'd buy new for school), calculator (don't do math with logarythms, not even sure how to spell logarythms)and new backpack. Don't use backpacks. No need, except to sally forth, carrying empty binders, and feeling academic despite all evidence against. One really should sign up for something in the fall, don't you think? ~ dh
I have to admit I am a secret fall-a-holic as well. It took me years to realise that as soon as the weather starts crisping up I become totally intoxicated and this usually results in impulse buying on a terrifying scale. I am, many people who know me know, addicted to notebooks. I have a whole bookshelf of unused notebooks (although to my credit I have a bookshelf of used ones too). So what have I bought since the beginning of September and the mad season? A shirt (pretty, with lace), an article of underclothing, lots of food, a gym membership (an aberation that) and today, a new notebook. But it's purple! With beads! And subject dividers! I NEEDED it! Really I did! WT
Post a Comment