Wednesday, August 02, 2006

furry fandom


So I'm sitting in the Bean Scene one evening about three years ago, with Darcie, trying to play chess using paper pieces (we finally gave up because every time someone walked by, the board would be blown into chaos - but that's not my point today), when this guy with a tail, protruding from a specially-cut hole in the back of his trousers, wiggles his butt in my face.

He wasn't actually doing it for my benefit. He was showing off his sad, skinny feather boa tail to someone else, who was standing close by. Apparently, it was something to be proud of. Right. "Only at the Bean Scene," we chortled.

Then, last April in London, in front of St. Paul's Cathedral, Kyle, Amanda and I saw a girl with a rather glorious looking racoon tail (put the feather boa completely to shame) attached to the back of her trousers (see picture, above).

Well, last week, listening to CBC Radio, I learned that these two tail-bearing eccentrics were probably furries (aka furs or furry fans) and part of a rather broad movement called furry fandom.

Furries are taken with anthropomorphic animals - characters like Bugs Bunny, Roger Rabbit, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sonic the Hedgehog et al, who are animals but display human characteristics. They're also into stuffies, not surprisingly. But many go a step further, giving themselves animal characteristics. Like tails. Others are less subtle, like the guy being interviewed, who likes to go out in a full rabbit costume every now and then, just because. Like, these people are into it - some pushing it to fetish levels.

Others get into it from a religious perspective, creating belief systems and philosophies they think are in keeping with the animal world.

There was reference to a negative/extreme portrayal of furries on the TV show CSI - although it was never revealed what exactly went on - at least not from where I tuned in. Their response was, "we're just innocent furries, trying to mind our own business in our little kitty costumes, what's the problem? Leave us alone! We're just like everyone else" (except they're not because everyone else doesn't don a bear suit to shop for groceries).

I know a girl who dated a guy who claimed he was a cat, and could see in the dark and use cat instincts and stuff (was that the attraction?). Maybe he was a furry.

Perhaps Cat Woman was a furry? Ditto Bat Man and Spider Man?

Whatever the case, I'm glad I know, so that next time I see one parading about town, I'll know. And next time I won't let their butt get anywhere near my face!

1 comment:

darcie said...

As I recall, we finally abandoned the chess game because I kept laughing and blowing the paper pieces onto the floor. Better that way, I was a terrible student.