Wednesday, November 04, 2009

go leafs!



Since I'm not a hockey fan (I still think the lock-out three years ago was the best season yet!) today's title can only mean one thing: playing in the autumn leaves. Now that I'm a fan of.

Earlier this week, I had a hankering to throw some leaves around. Oliver wanted to go to his Grandmama's house (my grandma, his great-grandma) to visit since we hadn't been there in a while. Since she has a much bigger yard, with lots of trees, I figured we could both get what we wanted that particular afternoon.

Of course, I brought my camera. I might get a few colourful pictures, I thought. What I captured, it turns out, is something a lot more valuable - something I really want to storyboard properly at some point. Because how many kids get to play in the leaves with their great-grandmother? There's 84 years between them, and as I watched their interaction unfold, I felt the intergenerational magic that resulted.

I had one great-grandma (this grandma's mother) alive when I was born, but she passed away before the end of my first year, so I have zero recollection of her. Oliver's lucky - he's got my mum's mum and step-dad (pappa), and Kyle's mom's mom (who he calls Oma-ma) and dad (Opa-pa). That's a lot of greats. And, hopefully, a lot of great memories will be made while he has them.



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these pics.! What a great idea with Grandmama, the leaves, the rakes, and THE HAT! SO cute!

Amanda said...

First of all, your grandmother does not look anywhere NEAR her age. She doesn't look any different than when I first met her back in, what? 1996?

Secondly, I want a monkey hat! No wait, I mean, ahem, I want a monkey hat for my kid! Where can I procure one??? I'm a big fan of Sock Monkey.

L-A said...

Yes, I hope I have the energy of my grandma when I'm her age (second half of the 80s, now!).

The monkey hat's tag had a website - knitwits.com, but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. However, if you do a search on the keywords Knitwits hats, you can find several websites that carry them.