Tuesday, September 05, 2006

signs of the times

When I was in school, the first day back was the end of summer. Not being in school means the line between summer in fall is much more blurred. For example, today (the first day of school) is as beautiful and balmy as ever. Summer continues, or so it seems. But the signs are there that it's winding down, so I thought I'd compose a list of signs, for me, that summer is over. Feel free to add your own.

1. It's getting harder to wake up early
2. A few leaves on the little tree in front of my house have started changing colour (this year, I noticed it Aug. 20 - way to soon in my mind)
3. It's not so bad to have the duvet on at night
4. Sarah starts frequenting the foot end of the bed again while we sleep
5. It takes only 10-15 minutes to drive from home to downtown, instead of a half hour to an hour
6. The forest fires are being contained so I can see glimpses of a blue sky again
7. Apples are the new peaches
8. Christmas decorations are on display in Costco
9. Starbucks brings back the spiced pumpkin latte
10. I have a hankering to buy pens, paper, binders, a package of Laurentian pencil crayons and a tartan skirt.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh yes, I love Autumn fashions.

Some signs I've noticed:

1) The kids are all in bed before 9:00.(Impossible in the summer)

2) Depending on the route I take, it can actually take me longer to drive because of all the school zones I have to go through.

3) The morning smells different.

Kyle said...

The motorcycle takes a little longer to warm up in the morning.

Amanda said...

I can't breathe for being so busy, and the only people with whom I have any quality communication are all under 14.

Danielle said...

Here in Seattle, the sun goes back into it's hidey-hole for another nine months.

Anonymous said...

The weather doesn't know what its supposed to be doing, therefore we can't plan what we're wearing:
1st Arsenal game - T-shirt, sandals
2nd Arsenal game - Four layers, including heavy sweater, full-length Australian outback raincoat, doc martins, hat.
3rd Arsenal game - T-shirt, trainers.